Monday, May 28, 2012

Thoughts of a Dying Soldier

 
The sky is such a lovely shade of blue in early May
The clouds look soft and fluffy; I’ll be touching them today
I'm glad the grass I’m lying on is soft and emerald green
The color of the lawn in spring back home in Aberdeen

God, there was so much that I had hoped that I could do
But it looks as if today I will be meeting you
And all the things I’ve thought worth-while seem suddenly so small
I can’t help but smile to think we fuss ‘bout life at all

The only thing that matters is this moment now impending
The seeds that I have scattered will grow though life is ending
God, it is so little that man-kind will ever know
I'm glad that I am not afraid because You love me so

There’s a letter in my pocket, I suppose someone will find
And give to my beloved, ‘something that he left behind’
Sure would have loved to see her, touch her soft cheek just once more
God, what a useless, bloody hell on earth, this war

Above me now an eagle flies on her majestic flight
I will pass her in the skies as I fly Home tonight
She will fly to some tall tree and to her faithful nest
I’ll fly to eternity and my eternal rest

The sky is such a lovely shade of blue in early May
I wonder what they’re doing in my home-town today
I wish that I could see them all and hold their hands again
Oh God, in death there’s no enemy, we are all just men

"Inspired by the book: The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway"
 
 © Janet Martin ~ Another Porch
 
Take a moment to remember the men and women
who never made it back home to their friends and loved ones...

5 comments:

  1. Megan, thank-you for remembering this poem and for sharing it. I love the verse you included...
    I am touched and I am remembering! God bless North America, and not only North America but ALL who believe! and may we NEVER lose faith in the true One who gives all...all power , all freedom, and may He receive ALL the glory!
    Happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful and yet so sad. Remembering our fallen soldiers here in the US Military. And may God be with their families, as they remember their loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 30, 2012

    Just beautiful and lots of tears. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Megan! This reminds me of the saying, "Our freedom is not free, it was bought with a price!" This reminds me of when I was in service, we were required to salute the flag as it passed by. When as a civilian again, ex-servicemen took their hats off when the flag passed by in reverence to those who gave their lives for it. Now I teach my son to take his hat off before our flag, and when praying as well. How much more should we offer reverence to our father Lord Jesus when approaching him in prayer. A soldier seeing his dying comrade before him, knows only to well what God gave up for us on the cross.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Megan. First, sorry for my english, I'm French. I often come to your blog because I like so much your tags and stationery (thank you so much for sharing them with us), and tonight I happened to see that post for Memorial Day. Yesterday, 4 french soldiers died in Afghanistan (I hope your poem is also for other countries fighting for freedom and not only the US). My brother, who is in the military, will be there in a few weeks, so thank you for that post. Thank you for sharing this also.
    Louise

    ReplyDelete

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa