Saturday, August 6, 2011

For the Love of Flowers


I know the beauty of our Lord
By all His wondrous works out-poured
The intricate and rare design
Of blue-bell, rose and columbine
The leaf that bursts from wooded bud
The shower that spawns an emerald flood
As out across each hill and plain
The muddy dross is green again
The bird returning to its nest
No map to point it east or west
The earth no more a dormant plot
As daisy and forget-me-not
Clothe the wood-lot and the dell
Where yesterday the snowflakes fell
As hope and flower blooms anew
In spring-time’s sun-kissed avenue
I know the beauty of the Lord
As seed springs from a soil restored
Where thankful gardeners hug the sod
And the handiwork of God

The Beauty of the Lord ~ written by Janet Martin


"I'd rather have roses on my table 
than diamonds on my neck." 
~ Emma Goldman ~


"A morning-glory at my window satisfies me 
more than the metaphysics of books." 
~ Walt Whitman ~


"With daffodils mad footnotes for the spring,
And asters purple asterisks for autumn."
~ Conrad Aiken, Preludes for Memnon, 1930 ~



"I perhaps owe having become a painter to flowers."  
~ Claude Monet ~




2 comments:

  1. Megan, I don't know what to say...but thank-you.
    The pictures and quotes are gorgeous....and I am deeply humbled.

    See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. Matt.6:28-29 NIV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet ~ Last night I had an 'A-Ha' moment, and thought how amazing it would be to weave this poem in to a post with quotes and flower pictures... of course, 'The Beauty of the Lord' steals the show... and come to think of it, that would've been a fitting title for this post too!

    ...Hope you're off enjoying your family vacation :)

    ReplyDelete

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa